Monday, August 1, 2011

Watching the Decline and Fall of the US

I love reading about Roman history. I've read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire many times. It worries me endlessly that I see a pattern in the latest developments in the US. I never thought I would see the disintegration of the US in my lifetime, but then I guess the fall of the USSR was unexpected at the time too. The US' deaththroes are just a lot more public.

So many people are complacent about their chances, viewing the coming events with apathy or even glee. They seem to forget that the first thing to fall in a major recession is the middle class, who get pushed down into the ever growing pool of the unemployed.

Its the feeling of powerlessness which grips me. I have absolutely no voice in these events, and all I can do is watch in sorrow as the ruling class make decisions which will see the death and degradation of so many of us. I honestly don't think the US is going to survive this in its present form, and I am not arrogant enough to think that I will be one of the lucky ones to escape the fallout, even though I live in another country - Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment